Define database management systems (DBMS). What are the major components of this system ? Explain each component.
Ans. A DBMS is used for storing, manipulating, and managing data.
Some examples of DBMSs:
In DBMS an organized collection of structured information, or data, typically stored electronically in a computer system is known as database.
The data and the DBMS, along with the applications that are associated with them, are referred to as a database system.
Some types of databases:
- Hierarchichal databases.
- Network databases.
- Object oriented databases.
- Relational databases.
- NoSQL databases.
Some components of DBMS:
- Software: DBMS software, operating systems, networking softwares etc.
- Hardware: Harddisk, RAM, I/O device, etc.
- Data: Values stored in DBMS.
- Data dictionary: it stores information about data.
- Database administrator: The admin in DBMS.
- Database access languages: DDL, DML, DCL, TCL, etc.