A Bus is a collection of wires that connects several devices.
Buses are used to send control signals and data between the processor and other components
This is to achieve a reasonable speed of operation.
In computer system all the peripherals are connected to microprocessor through Bus.
Types of Bus structure:
- Address bus
- Data bus
- Control bus
1. Address Bus:
- Address bus carry the memory address while reading from writing into memory.
- Address bus caary I/O post address or device address from I/O port.
- In uni-directional address bu only the CPU could send address and other units could not address the microprocessor.
- Now a days computers are haing bi-directional address bus.
2. Data Bus:
- Data bus carry the data.
- Data bus is a bidirectional bus.
- Data bus fetch the instructions from memory.
- Data bus used to store the result of an instruction into memory.
- Data bus carry commands to an I/O device controller or port.
- Data bus carry data from a device controller or port.
- Data bus issue data to a device controller or port.
3. Control Bus:
Different types of control signals are used in a bus:
- Memory Read: This signal, is issued by the CPU or DMA controller when performing a read operation with the memory.
- MemoryWrite: This signal isissued by the CPU or DMAcontroller when performing a write operation with the memory.
- I/O Read: This signal isissued by the CPU when it is reading from an input port.
- I/O Write: This signal is issued by the CPU when writing into an output port.
- Ready: The ready is an input signal to the CPU generated in order to synchronize the show memory or I/O ports with the fast CPU.
A system bus is a single computer bus that connects the major components of a computer system, combining the functions of a data bus to carry information, an address bus to determine where it should be sent, and a control bus to determine its operation.
Q1. Is USB a bus?
Ans. A USB is a fast serial bus, which connect an electronic device to a computer. It is mostly used on personal computers. USB is used with mobile phones, video games, etc.