- In a vector computer, a vector processor is attached to the scalar processor as an optional feature.
- The host computer first loads program and data to the main memory.
- Then the scalar control unit decodes all the instructions.
- If the decoded instructions are scalar operations or program operations, the scalar processor executes those operations using scalar functional pipelines.
- On the other hand, if the decoded instructions are vector operations then the instructions will be sent to vector control unit.
In SIMD computers, ‘N’ number of processors are connected to a control unit and all the processors have their individual memory units. All the processors are connected by an interconnection network.