Open source softwares are softwares which are having following characteristics:
- Softwares are free of cost.
- Source codes free availability.
- Right to manipulate software.
- All users are having equal rights.
- All rights granted must flow through all redistributed versions,
- Use of open source software must not restrict user of other softwares (closed source software).
Some of the examples of open source softwares-From Linux:
Other open source softwares are:
- ClamAV (Antivirus)
- MySQL (Database)
- PostgreSQL (Database)
- Asterisk (IP Communication)
- PostFix (Email service)
- Sendmail (Email service)
- Samba (File server)
- Apache (Web server)
- Tomcat (Java servlet container)
- Open office
- Firefox (Web browser)