We had seen in previous article framing, that to send packets from sender to the receiver framing is required. But the question was how the receiver will identify the starting and ending of a frame. For receiver, starting and ending of a frame is necessary to recognize the next frames transmitted by the sender.
So in this case Byte count framing method will support.
The byte count framing method uses a field in the header to specify the number of bytes in the frame.
- Data link layer at sender sends the byte count.
- Data link layer at receiver counts the byte count.send by sender.
- If there is difference between bytes counts of sender and receiver. There is error in data received.
- Else received data is correct.
- Above points are shown in diagram below.