Static management: Allocation during translation that remains fixed throughout execution.
- Does not allow recursive subprograms.
- static allocation
- no run-time storage management
- no concern for recovery and reuse
- in COBOL and FORTRAN
Stack-based storage management: Simplest run-time storage management technique.
- Based on the nested last in first out structure in subprograms calls and returns.
- Automatic compaction.
- In Pascal : a single central stack of activation records, and a statically allocated area for subprogram code segments and system programs.
- Sebesta,”Concept of programming Language”, Pearson Edu
- Louden, “Programming Languages: Principles & Practices” , Cengage Learning
- Tucker, “Programming Languages: Principles and paradigms “, Tata McGraw –Hill.
- E Horowitz, “Programming Languages”, 2nd Edition, Addison Wesley